Dr. M. A. Karim
Welcome to my website. My area of specialization is Environmental Engineering with
emphasis in soil and sediment remediation and decontamination, environmental management,
and waste management. My research focuses on remediation technologies that are applicable
to in-situ decontamination and remediation of soil and sediment.
Let me introduce myself briefly. I had my B.Sc. and M.Sc. in Civil Engineering from
Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (BUET) in 1989 and 1992, respectively. I spent about six years as a full-time faculty at
BUET where my last position was Assistant Professor of Civil Engineering. I came to
USA in 1995 and finished my Ph.D. in Civil/Environmental Engineering from Cleveland
State University, Ohio in 2000. I worked about three years for ALLTEL Information
Services in Twinsburg, Ohio as an Applications Programmer. Then I worked about eight
years (in two different times) for the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality
(VDEQ) as a Senior Environmental Engineer (Solid Waste Permit Writer II) and taught at
Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU) as an Affiliate Professor before I went to Trine University in January 2008, as
a full-time Assistant Professor of Civil & Environmental Engineering. I taught part-time
at Indiana University-Purdue University Fort Wayne (IPFW) while employed at Trine University. During my time at Trine University I taught a
course for VCU on-line using Wimba class room. I also taught at Stratford University,
Richmond, Virginia campus as an adjunct faculty while working for VDEQ. Since Fall
of 2011, I have been working for Southern Polytechnic State University (SPSU), Marietta, Georgia as a full-time faculty in Civil and Construction Engineering.
I am a registered professional engineer for the State of the Commonwealth of Virginia.
I have more than fifteen journal and proceeding publications and three professional
reports in the area of soil and sediment remediation, environmental management, and
statistical hydrology. I am a member of American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) and American Society of Engineering Education (ASEE).
Selected Recent Publications:
- Karim, M. A., Schroeder, P. R. and Bunch, B. W. (2015), A Preliminary Laboratory Investigation of PCB Flux from Dredge Resuspensions and Residuals, Soil and Sediment Contamination: an International Journal, Vol. 24, No. 5, May, DOI:10.1080/15320383.2015.986263.
[Impact Factor = 0.894]
- Karim, M. A. (2014), Electrokinetics and soil decontamination: concepts and overview, Journal of Electrochemical Science and Engineering - jESE, Vol. 4, No. 4, pp.297~313, DOI:10.5599/jese.2014.0054 [Impact Factor = N/A]
- Karim, M. A. and Khan, L. I. (2014), Comparison of Heavy Metal Removal from Chemically Interactive and Non-Interactive
Solid Phases by CEHIXM Process, Separation Science & Technology, Vol. 49, No. 10, pp. 1449~1460, July. DOI:10.1080/01496395.2014.894523. [Impact Factor = 1.16]
- Karim, M. A., Bunch, B. W. and Schroeder, P. R. (2014), A Preliminary Laboratory Study of Initial Copper Release from Dredge Residuals, Remediation Journal, Vol. 24, No. 2, pp.61~75, March. [Impact Factor = NA]
- Debnath, J., and Karim, M. A. (2013), Water: The Risky Business, A teaching module developed as a part of the workshop titled, Reconnect 2013 Workshop: Water Infrastructure, Contamination and Risk Assessment” held at Morgan State University, Baltimore, Maryland from June 2 – 8, 2013 organized
by Command, Control, and Interoperability Center for Advanced Data Analysis (CCICADA), Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and Center for Discrete Mathematics and Theoretical Computer Science (DIMACS) and funded by National Science Foundation (NSF). [Impact Factor = NA]
- Karim, M. A. (2013), Contaminant Release from Dredge Resuspension and Residuals, Final Report Submitted to the US Army Corps of Engineer, Engineer Research and Development
Center (ERDC), Waterways Experiment Station (WES), 3909 Halls Ferry Road, Vicksburg, MS. Contract No. TCN 12-057, Solicitation No.
W911NF-11-D-0001, December 2012 and Revised January 2013. [Impact Factor = NA]
- Karim, M. A. and Khan, L.I.(2012), Enhancement of Electrokinetic Decontamination with EDTA, Environmental Technology, Vol. 33, No. 20, pp.2291~2298, April. DOI:10.1080/09593330.2012.665493. [Impact Factor = 1.410]
- Karim, M. A. and Khan, L.I.(2011), Effect of the Secondary Electrode Configuration in Removing Metal Contaminants from
Soils by the CEHIXM Process, Soil and Sediment Contamination: an International Journal, Vol.20, No.7, pp.857~875,
November. [Impact Factor = 0.894]